Friday, June 27, 2008

Dear Community; Hear my cry

Poetic essay by Dontez Moore

This is what is happening in our community,
Drug dealing
People stealing
Some just losing their sanity.

I’m frustrated
Lost
Don’t have concentration, man
I’m not playin’
People hatin’


Yes! I’m from Hopkins Park
No lights
It’s all dark,
It’s quiet.
So quiet.
You can hear your hearts.
Life is too short
I listen to God
‘Cause he has the answer.


But what is wrong?
I’m tryin’ to figure out where I belong
What I’m feeling is strong


People fixin’ to a build a prison
What I’m sayin’ is true
So I hope your listening
Please pay attention in school.


All we have is a lot of competition in our community,
People using profanity


What is this?
All of this makin’ me sick
I can’t believe all of this.
People growing up in jail.
All the things they wanted to be just failed.


People lied on me
What the hell!
Why not go to college and get a degree so you can be what you wanna be
Instead of going to jail.


Please listen to me.
Life is not a joke
I don’t wanna see you under a bridge with a bag and a coat.

No comments: